Call To Schedule Appointment
There are various causes for mortar to crack and deteriorate. Water, snow, and ice can then penetrate into the cracks to cause more deterioration to the surrounding areas. In some cases, after the tuckpointing procedures have started, bricks or stones can crumble or shift in place. Rebuilding a portion or all of the area may then be necessary. Listed below are the procedures used for Chimney Doctor’s Professional Tuckpointing.
Referred to as tuck pointing (tuckpointing), pointing, repointing, spot pointing, & brick chimney repair. Tuck pointing (tuckpointing) restores the masonry mortar joints between your bricks to eliminate
Tuck pointing (tuckpointing) can be defined as the removal and replacement of mortar between stone, block, or brick. Chimney Doctors masonry crews will replace the existing failing mortar with new mortar (tuckpoint) to match the original masonry texture and color as closely as possible. Once mortar has been placed within the joint, it is then tooled. When done properly, tuck pointing (tuckpointing) will provide a strong, water-resistant joint that will extend the life of your masonry chimney and prevent future brick chimney repair needs.
- Using a grinder, grind out problem areas (1/8″ or greater) to create a 3/4″ to 1″ depth in mortar joint. If this step isn’t taken, and a thin layer of mortar is applied, it will crack and fall out over a short period of time.
- Remove all loose dust and debris by using an air blower or water to flush out dust and particles. This step will insure that new mortar will adhere properly.
- Mix proper blend of mortar Tint (if needed) to match as close as possible. Add Sika- flex glue mixture to give mortar better adhesion.
- Tuckpoint by applying mortar in open mortar joints.
- “Strike” or smooth out and compress the mortar joint for a very smooth, solid and professional appearance.
- Use a mason brush to remove all “flashings” next to mortar joint and blend new mortar area into old.
- Wash off excess mortar from brick faces and roof if needed.
COLOR-MATCHING BRICKS A SPECAILTY FOR CHIMNEY DOCTORS
* We utilize hard to find brick sources. (reclaimed bricks an option)
* Special color blend technque used to visually blend outer brick color of new bricks laid to match exsisting bricks.
Chimney Doctors warranties tuckpointing work for a period of five years from date of completion covering labor and materials for all chimney repair and 10 years for all non- chimney repairs This is a transferable warranty Any problems during warranty period will be corrected by Chimney Doctors. The warranty is invalid if there are problems due to internal moisture, water, or condensation problems beyond our control, unless these problems are corrected at the time tuckpointing work is done.